Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cha Cha changes

I know that its just some linens, chairs and curtains, but it's these little changes that I hope will make a big difference in moving my home towards the feel that I am trying to achieve. What is that "feel", you ask? Well, I would say 7 parts Anthropologie, 2 parts 15th St. Coffee & Tea (think of: book pages as wallpaper, chalkboards, rustic wood, etc) and 1 part Ikea (I can't help but like some of the streamlined looks).


My lovely mother-in-law is the best at home decor. (especially if it includes blue, yellow, toille or anything french countryside) Any chance she can grab at helping her decorating impaired daughter-in-law, she graciously jumps at the chance. So, when I told her I was going to re-upholster a chair she gave me (yep, adorable blue & white toille!) she was not only offended, but offered me three more to match. I had some yellow, black & gray silkscreened upholstery fabric laying around that I had bought without a project to go with it. It just so happened that the 2 wonderful yards covered just enough of those 4 chairs that there was not one thread left unused. It took me a whole month to uncover, unstaple, sand, spray paint, measure, cut, recover, re-staple and fasten in these bad boys. We better get good use out of these suckers! I decided to cover them with some upholstery plastic not for the kitchy, modern, vinyl look, but out of pure desire for preservation. With two little ones under 3, they wouldn't last one meal without me scrubbing away at blackberry jam, dried eggs, or someother unknown substance.



before




after
 Who knows how long it will take to sand, stain and paint the table- the next project. (black legs to match the chairs and a cherry stained top)

These were just minor improvements- like the nail polish on a revamped benefactor of an Oprah makeover, not statement making, but enough to contribute to the overall look. It was all I can do to finish these small projects with a baby and a toddler... No wonder people with money hire interior decorators.
me and my little helpers

No comments:

Post a Comment