Saturday, September 12, 2009

Another peace of pie

My brother asked me the other day what art I have been working on. Guiltlessly, I responded as I finished the lattice top for another blackberry pie, "pies have been my art". Now,  I only made, let's see here, about 5 pies this summer, but they were glorious works of art. I enjoyed making them. Now that I think about it, only one was to keep for our family. The key was to use fresh ingredients. I made 2 blackberry pies from the berries in our yard and 3 peach pies from my loot from Eastern Wa. peaches. For the tops, I used my new pastry cutter to make the lattice tops and brushed cream and sprinkled baker's (chunky) sugar crystals over the top. One of the peach pies I made for a family reunion and carved the name of the family on the top. Lastly, for the Labor Day picnic, I cut out little leaves (willing fall to come) and "glued" them on with brushed cream again. Maybe when I get some fresh apples, I will finish the summer off with a classic apple pie. Oh, one of the other keys to my pies are the crusts: I used a type of french pie crust called Pate Brisee where cold water and butter are essential. Also- don't over-mix or knead, keep it short when it comes to making in food processor or Kitchen Aid. To me, this makes the pie. You can freeze this dough up to a month and let thaw overnight in the fridge. Happy Pie making (creating, really) or eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment