Saturday, September 12, 2009

Golden Eggs

Blondie, my favorite hen laid the first of many eggs. Beautiful little brown jewels sitting in a pile of woodchips each late morning. A few times I have had to maneuver it from underneath her downy plumage, but usually she is out playing by the time I come to collect. It seems to be sitting there almost with my name on it, like "Here, Ashley. Happy Egg eating." Yesterday we held her, and she is the most docile of them all, but also the smartest. She is also the rooster's favorite gal. He seems to keep a close eye on her out of all the others. Someone told me that having a rooster gives them incentive for them to keep producing. Whatever she is doing, I want her to keep doing it! It sounds funny to say, but they taste so much more delicious and hold their shape compared to store bought organic eggs. Now, I just want the other hens to get on board and start producing! I am especially excited for our Araucana to start popping out blue eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment